Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Bleeding, One Story at a Time

Here's a small summer update:

For months we were anticipating the arrival of Mgo's parents. They came, they left, and we are still processing the fact that their long-awaited trip is already over! It was very hot while they were here, so we swam a lot. In my mind I secretly thanked God over and over that we had a pool. Otherwise, I think they'd be bored out of their minds! I think my father-in-law really appreciated and enjoyed all the fresh produce Fresno has to offer. We went produce shopping often and indulged in late night fruit snacking. My mother-in-law graciously took over my kitchen and cooked some delicious Armenian dishes for us. We had a great time catching up with them.

One thing that I learned about my in-laws that I hadn't really noticed before was how much energy they have! We did a lot of cooking, cleaning, organizing, shopping, swimming and by the end of the day, Mgo and I were exhausted and went to bed early while they stayed up late! They were a huge help in the kitchen. I don't think there was ever a dirty dish in the sink for more than two minutes at a time. We had a blast with them, but what was difficult for me was trying to keep up with them in the midst of a flare up. It's been difficult for me to be open about the Fibro with my in-laws. I had to hide the fact that I was feeling quite lousy while they were visiting. They just worry too much and I don't want them to.

We had a bit of a surprise visit from our good friends the past couple of days! One of my best friends, who recently found out she's expecting her second child, and her her family, came to spend a day and a night with us. Her little girl, whom I refer to as "jellybean," holds a very special place in my heart. She is so full of life - always smiling and saying the funniest things. She became good friends with Milli. It was so refreshing to spend time with them. The highlight was swimming with jellybean while Mgo grilled some steaks for us all. They are just so fun to be around.

Mgo and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary this month! I still can't believe we've been married that long. Every day I wake up excited that I'm married to this man. He is so caring, and for those of you who know my husband, you'll understand what I mean when I tell you that there's never a dull moment in this house. I'm having so much fun and am so in love.

Summer is really flying by since it's been so busy. I'm already prepping for my Fall course. This semester, I may have the opportunity to have a tutor in my classroom to work with my students! I'm very excited about this, as I did this sort of thing at Pasadena City College years ago! I'm excited to begin teaching again!

It's been quite an eventful summer, which really helps me with my writing! Every event, activity, moment sparks a character, scene, or story in my mind. I am working on my fiction and slowly sending it out! I'm also searching for a fellow fiction writer to swap stories for critiquing. A friend recently asked me what it's like to spend time writing fiction. I told him that it takes a lot out of me. I feel drained, but in a very good way, once I complete a story.

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." - Ernest Hemingway

This quote pretty much sums it up. Now all I need is a typewriter.


No comments:

Post a Comment